Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Had Stroke – Allowed:
It is important for people who had a stroke to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAD A STROKE – CVA
- Start physiotherapy treatment as soon as possible.
- Adhere to a healthy diet that contains fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Keep your room and your body temperature warm.
- Do daily exercise on a regular basis.
- Check-up your blood pressure regularly. It is also important to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) appropriately.
- Avoid stress and try to relax more.
- Treat diabetes if you have it, in order to regulate blood sugar.
- Take nectar honey and bee pollen regularly.
- Reduce weight.
- Regulate cholesterol and triglycerides levels.
- Take the necessary vitamins such as vitamins C and D.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES – TEAS)
- You should consume vegetable oils such as olive oil and flaxseed oil because they are high in potassium. Also prefer to consume fish oil such omega3 capsules.
- Prefer to consume an amount of 1 small cup of olive oil throughout the day (you can add olive oil to your food). Olive oil is rich in essential fatty acids and potassium.
- Drink carrot juice daily in order to prevent formation of clots.
- People who had a stroke should drink green tea in order to prevent Atherosclerosis (deposition of fat in the walls of blood vessels).
- Prefer to drink rosemary tea, especially if you have edema or fluid retention in the limbs.
- Prefer to drink oregano tea if you have high blood pressure.
- Drinking onion juice is highly recommended to prevent clots.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Eat one clove of garlic with a spoonful of nectar honey in the morning and another one in the evening, only in case of Ischemic stroke (blockage). However, in case of Hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding) you should eat onions instead.
- Prefer to ea pineapples because they help prevent strokes.
- Cayenne pepper increases the blood circulation in the body and strengthens the cardiac muscle without increase the blood pressure which helps to prevent strokes.
- Consume foods that are high in MSM such as cabbage and lettuce. MSM helps repair and regenerate new cells.
- Eat carrots and onions daily to prevent clots.
- Consume vegetables high in potassium such as zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes, onions, carrots, parsley, oranges, and olives.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- Regulate cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Preferably eat foods that contain phytosterols such as whole grains, legumes, walnuts and almonds and vegetable oils (corn oil and sesame oil).
- Turmeric and curcumin work as natural blood diluters that prevents clots that may cause as stroke.
- Add cumin to your daily diet since it is a very potent antioxidant and it helps improve the functioning of the digestive system.
- Prefer to consume black cumin and fennel seed as well.
- Consume foods high in potassium such as rye and legumes.
- Prefer to eat flaxseeds because they are high in omega3.
FISH AND SEAFOOD
- Eating fish and seafood that are high in omega3 such as salmon, tuna, shrimps and calamari on a regular basis.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Had Stroke – Prohibited:
- Cigarettes and hookah.
- Obesity and overweight.
- Tension and stress.
- Foods that contain saturated fats and cholesterol such as red meat, butter and margarine because it causes lipid accumulation in the blood causing formation of coagulants that cause a stroke.
- Fast food, fried food, and starchy food.
- Processed and canned food that contain preservatives, food dyes and flavorings.
- Foods made of white flour.
- Sugar and food that contain sugar.
- Soft drinks and sodas.
- Salt because it raise blood pressure.