Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People and Children with ADHD – Allowed:
It is important for people and children with ADHD to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE AND CHILDREN WITH ADHD:
- Maintain healthy eating habits such as eating small meals at frequent intervals (every 2-3 hours). It is important to have meals with low sugar index.
- Do daily exercise because it increases blood flow to the brain and improves overall feeling. Exercise increases the levels of endorphins, which gives a feeling of comfort and improves mood.
- Regulate sleep times or sleeping hours.
- Do activities that you are interested in, create a special, quiet space for yourself to read, do homework, and have timeouts from everyday life chaos.
- Reading the holy books gives the feeling of tranquility and calmness.
- Add Bee Pollen to your daily regime.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES- TEAS)
- Drink plenty of water (8-10 glasses a day). Water is very important for the healthy and proper functioning of body cells.
- Dissolve spoonful of nectar honey in a cup of hot milk before bedtime to make you relax and help you sleep well.
- Prefer to drink chamomile and lavender tea because it is calmative and helps reduce hyperactivity.
- In certain cases of ADHD, a diluted tea of ginger, cinnamon as well as licorice might help with hyperactivity as well.
- Drink rosemary tea every day because it helps with concentration and raise the level of intelligence.
- Take carob molasses and organic raw honey.
- Add olive oil to you food because it is high in essential fatty acids.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Eat fruits and vegetables that have high content of B vitamins such as leafy greens, sprouts, root vegetables, apples, pears, and papaya. B vitamins are essential to maintain healthy body systems and help build and balance the nervous system.
- Consume fresh vegetables and fruits which are considered a rich source of antioxidants. In ADHD there is a dysfunction in removing toxins from the body, so antioxidants help get rid these toxins.
- Eat foods high in zinc, iron, magnesium, and iodine especially if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or a child. It is recommended that you eat dried fruits, leafy vegetables, and avocados.
- Consume fruits and vegetables that have high content of fibers because they prevent sharp changes in blood sugar levels and help the body excrete accumulated toxins.
- Eat organic grapes with its seeds. Grape seeds improve concentration and help with ADHD.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- Prefer to consume flaxseeds because they are high in essential fatty acids like omega3. Fatty acids are important to the health of body cells and to the functioning of the nervous system; therefore, they help with ADHD.
- Consume foods that have high content of complex carbohydrates that keep energy available and prevent sharp changes in sugar level (high or low). Prefer to eat whole grains.
- Prefer to eat foods high in other essential fatty acids such as nuts, almonds, and seeds.
- Eat foods that have high content of B vitamins such as: whole grains (whole rice, flour, oatmeal, quinoa) and legumes (lentils, beans). B vitamins are essential to maintain healthy body systems and help build and balance the nervous system.
- Prefer to eat food high in zinc such as: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, tahini, lentils, and beans. Zinc helps the brain to function and develop properly which helps a lot in case of ADHD. Also, a low level of zinc may result in calcium and magnesium deficiency.
- Eat legumes, almonds and pumpkin seeds because they have high content of zinc, iron, magnesium, and iodine especially if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or a child.
- Eat foods that have high content of fibers such as oatmeal, whole grains, and legumes. Fiber prevents sharp changes in blood sugar levels and helps the body excrete accumulated toxins.
- Prefer to eat Palestinian thyme with sesame because it helps with concentration and improves thinking and memory.
- Eat tahini and sesame every day.
FISH AND SEAFOOD
- Eat food that are high in essential fatty acids like omega3. It is recommended that you eat fish such as Salmon, Sardines, Herring, Tuna, Mackerel, and Halibut.
Fatty acids are important to the health of body cells and to the functioning of the nervous system; therefore, they help with ADHD.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for Children with ADHD – Prohibited:
- Allergenic foods that cause discomfort in the digestive system and poor absorption of vitamins and minerals. try to avoid wheat, milk, dairy products, cheese, soy, corn, chocolate, peanuts, citrus and meat.
- Processed food, canned food and snacks that contain preservatives, food coloring and flavorings because they aggravate ADHD.
- Simple carbohydrates such as white sugar, white flour, cakes, and biscuits because they cause imbalance of the nervous system.
- Stimulants such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soft drinks because they may cause or aggravate sleep disorder.
- Alcohol because it may cause acute drop in blood sugar level, affect the quality of sleep, and inhibits the absorption of B vitamins necessary for the functioning of body organs and the nervous system and thus aggravated ADHD- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Foods that contain saturated fats such as beef meat, processed food, margarine, butter, and refined oils.
- Fast food and fried food because they contain harmful oils that affect the proper functioning of the nervous system. These foods were found to be related to the low level of educational attainment.
- Ritalin and other consumed chemical drugs because they have adverse effects.
- Foods with high calories (especially girls).
- Dairy products made from cow milk or powder milk. Prefer to replace it with organic goat milk or vegetarian milk.
- Soft drinks, sodas and energy drinks.