Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Asthma – Allowed:
It is important for asthmatic people to abide by the following instructions in order to reduce symptoms of Asthma disease and achieve full recovery.
General advice for people who have Asthma disease:
- Exercise on a regular basis to help improve breathing and promote overall health.
- Inhale Rosemary vapor (Rosemary tea).
- Use essential oils such as lavender oil, mint oil, rosemary oil and Cypress oil. Essential oils help improve breathing and expectorate phlegm by rubbing it on the chest, on the forehead and around the nose.
- Consume nutritional supplements and vitamin supplements to maintain a healthy body. Prefer to take zinc picolinate, wheat and barley grass juice powder, spirulina algae, bee pollen and moringa oleifera.
- Take garlic on a daily basis to help fight inflammations and reduce coughing.
Liquids (Water- Juices- Teas)
- Make tea of the following herbs: wild thyme, sage, cardamom, ginger, oregano, cinnamon, fennel seed, fenugreek, cumin, licorice and chamomile.
- Drink an amount of 8-10 glasses of water (2 liters) every day.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids. Prefer to drink hot soups of root vegetables, juices of fresh fruits and vegetables and herbal teas because they strengthen the immune system and the respiratory system and reduce symptoms of asthma.
- Add olive oil to your food because it is rich in essential fatty acids.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Consume foods that are considered anti-inflammatory such as onions, garlic and ginger.
- Eat a lot of avocadoes because they are rich in essential fatty acids.
- Prefer to eat green veggies especially spinach, chicory and Malva parviflora.
- Consume foods that are high in vitamin C such as kiwis, guavas, red peppers and leafy greens. Even though citrus fruits also have high content of vitamin C, it is preferable to avoid them because they induce phlegm.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables because they are considered a rich source of antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals. Preferably, eat fruits and vegetables that contain carotenoids (antioxidants) known as a potent anti-inflammatory such as leafy greens and orange vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkins) because they strengthens the respiratory system.
Whole grains – Legumes – Seeds and Nuts
- Prefer to add black cumin seeds, turmeric and cumin to your food.
- Consume foods that have high content of essential fatty acids. Preferably, eat almonds, raw seeds and nuts.
- Prefer to eat flaxseeds because they are rich in omega 3 fatty acid. Omega3 stimulate the production of prostaglandins, hormones that reduce inflammations and thus strengthen the functioning of the immune system.
- Consume foods that are high in zinc such as legumes, raw seeds and nuts especially pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and whole grain. Zinc helps repair membrane and strengthen the immune system.
Fish and Seafood
- Consume foods high in omega3 fatty acid. Preferably, eat sardines, salmon, herring, tuna, mackerel, and halibut. Omega3 stimulate the production of prostaglandins, hormones that reduce inflammations and thus strengthen the functioning of the immune system.
- Prefer to eat fish and seafood because they have high content of zinc. Zinc helps repair membrane and strengthen the immune system.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Asthma Disease – Prohibited:
- Smoking and exposure to polluted air and stimuli or triggers.
- Foods that weaken the immune system and induce inflammations and phlegm such as milk, dairy, citrus fruits, bananas, peanuts, sugar, alcohol, eggplants, potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Fried food, fatty foods and sugary foods.
- Allergenic foods such corn, wheat, milk, dairy, peanuts, preservatives and food dyes because they weaken the immune system and increase the secretion of phlegm.
- Simple carbohydrates such as white flour and sugar because they weaken immunity and lower fitness and thus aggravate shortness of breath.
- Processed and canned food that contains preservatives, food dyes and flavorings since they weaken the immune system.
- Asthma triggers such as pollen, dust mites, animal dander, aspirin and others.
- Do not use perfumes, cleaning sprays, or air fresheners.
- Avoid stress and try to relax more.
- Prefer to avoid red meat especially beef.
- Alcohol, sweetened beverages, energy drinks and sodas.