Broad Bean Dish for Cancer Patients
Traditional food, native food, or country-style food, usually are dishes that represent the culture of the country they are served or presented in, in the since that they contain foods naturally available in that country and the recipes used are those that come from rural sources.
The food concentrates on being able to use poor materials in the best possible way. It will tend to include all forms of preserved meats, root vegetables, beans, locally available herbs, salt, and pepper.
These foods usually have very dominant and unique taste and are rich in nutrients, which makes them favorable to many people especially cancer patients.
The traditional dishes of each country were invented to cater to the needs of the locals that live in it that usually correspond with the environment, the weather and lifestyle. Hence, you will find that some dishes will provide the body with energy, while others will raise body temperature, and so on.
One of the most popular dished in the Arabic cuisine is a broad bean dish. There are different variations of broad bean dishes. It was known by the Pharaohs and in places such as North Africa, the Levant and parts of Asia.
However, today, broad beans are cultivated all around the world because they are a rich source of protein.
In today’s recipe, we will be making a healthy dish of broad beans using olive oil and garlic from the healthy diet regimen for cancer patients.
Broad Beans and Garlic for Cancer Patients
Category of Food: Main meal – Dinner/Lunch
Servings: 2-3 people
Total Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
- One kilograms of fresh broad beans
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of mashed garlic
- A cup of water
- 1/4 a cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped parsley.
- Wash the broad beans with water.
- Put the beans into a pot, add the cup of water and the salt and then boil on a stove on low heat for 10-20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the broad beans are done, when there is very few water left in the pot, you can add the garlic and then stir well.
- When it is done and no water left in the pot, you can take it of the stove and add the parsley and the olive oil.
- This recipe is not suitable for people who have Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PDD).
- People who have hypothyroidism, prefer to reduce the amount of garlic used in this recipe.
The Nutritional Values of Broad Beans for Cancer Patients
- Broad beans are rich in carbohydrates, fiber, and phyto-protein.
- It increases immunity of a cancer patient for it contains components that stimulate antioxidants, especially glutathione. Thus, maintains the health and integrity of red blood cells and fatty membranes.
- It maintains a healthy heart and a balanced blood pressure, for it contains magnesium and potassium, which help expand blood vessels, thus help lower high blood pressure. Moreover, it contains soluble fiber, which helps decrease cholesterol levels.
- Broad beans are rich in proteins, vitamins and mineral salts. As it turns out, green beans are rich in iron, which is necessary for hemoglobin production. Therefore consuming broad beans, helps treat anemia especially in cancer patient who undergo chemotherapy.
- It helps maintain the health and integrity of bones since it contains two essential components, which are manganese and copper. This makes green beans a great nutrient for women in menopause and for people who have bone cancer, or other types of cancer with metastasis to bones such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer.