Stroke – Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA)
A cerebrovascular accident is a medical term of stroke. CVA is a sudden onset of neurological dysfunction resulting from an abnormality in cerebral circulation, either by a blockage or a rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. In case of stroke, the brain tissue do not get enough oxygen and nutrients, thus they begin to die in minutes.
A stroke is an emergency condition, therefore prompt treatment is crucial. Early action can help reduce brain damage and further complications
There are two main types of cerebrovascular accident, or stroke:
- Ischemic stroke: caused by a blockage in blood vessels due to blood clotting in brain arteries or to a block of cholesterol. (83% of the total cases)
- Hemorrhagic stroke: occurs when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures causing bleeding. This rupture happens either due to an injury, hypertension, or weakness of blood vessels. (13% of the total cases)
Risk factors and Causes for a Stroke – CVA
- Extreme anger as well as sadness.
- Diabetes and glucose metabolism.
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
- Cardiac diseases.
- High cholesterol level and also high triglyceride level (hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia) .
- Lifestyle factors (obesity, lack of physical activity, diet, and also emotional stress)
- Heredity, a family history as well as a genetic tendency for stroke.
- Oral contraceptives.
- Age, gender, race, as well as ethnicity.
- A bleeding in one of the blood vessels of the brain.
- A head injury.
- Weakness or paralysis of muscles in one side of the body. Inability to close one eye, difficulty swallowing, and running saliva.
- Trouble with speaking and understanding. The patient may not be able to pronounce words correctly and also his response might not be related to the question/ topic.
- A sudden headache, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Blurry or darkened vision in one eye.
- Trouble walking is a common symptoms for a stroke.
- Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA): it has the same symptoms but may disappear in 24 hours.