Healthy diet and daily instructions for diabetic patients – Allowed:
It is important that patients with diabetes type 2 abide by the following instructions.
General advice for patients with Diabetes type 2
- Patients with diabetes type 2 should maintain a healthy weight.
- Do daily exercise in order to reduce cell resistance to insulin, maintain balanced level of blood sugar, maintain healthy weight, reduce the level of lipids, and reduce accompanied symptoms like anxiety and stress. Patients should also do relaxation exercises such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises that also help reduce anxiety and stress.
- Balance blood pressure.
- Adhere to a healthy diet and try healthy eating habits. Preferably, eating small meals at frequent intervals (every 2-3 hours) and chewing food well before swallowing.
- Add olive oil to your food and cooking because it is rich in essential fatty acids.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Patients with diabetes type 2 should insert fruits and vegetables to their diet because they have high content of fiber. Fiber help reduce the level of blood sugar and lipid, hinder sugar absorption, give the feeling of fullness for a long period of time, and prevent constipation.
- Eat fruits and vegetables with low glycemic index such as uncooked vegetables, pears, apples, and grape fruit.
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables for they are considered a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that help remove free radicals and speed up metabolism.
- Eat garlic and onions because they help reduce blood sugar level and prevent from diabetes type 2.
- Consume avocados because they are rich in essential fattu acids.
Whole grains and Legumes
- Eat whole grains and legumes because they have high content of fiber. Fiber help reduce the level of blood sugar and lipid, hinder sugar absorption, give the feeling of fullness for a long period of time, and prevent constipation.
- Eat foods with low glycemic index such as whole grains (rye, quinoa, barley, and whole rice) and legumes (lentils, beans, soybeans). Preferably, cook whole grains and legumes 10 minutes, then cover the pot and leave them until the water is absorbed.
- Eat foods that contain other essential fatty acids. Preferably, eat raw seeds, nuts and almonds.
- Patients with diabetes type 2 should eat flaxseeds because they are high in omega3 fatty acid.
Fish and Seafood
- Eat foods high in omega3 fatty acid such as salmon, mackerel and tuna. Omega3 is important for the health and integrity of cells and for the proper functioning of the nervous system and the immune system.
Healthy diet and daily instructions for patients with diabetes type 2 – Prohibited:
- Artificial sweetening such as white sugar, saccharin, aspartame and sorbitol.
- Salt because it increases blood pressure and cases renal malfunctioning.
- Foods with high glycemic index such as white sugar, white flour, pastries, cakes, biscuits and potatoes.
- Processed and canned foods that contain preservatives, food dyes and flavorings. These foods have high glycemic index, high calories and saturated fat therefore, they can aggravate diabetes type 2.
- Foods that contain saturated fat and trans fat which cause stiffness of cell walls and hinders the effectiveness of insulin. These fats also increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Foods that contain animal protein such as red meat, poultry, eggs, milk and dairy. These foods can aggravate diabetes because they are hard to digest and can induce inflammations.
- Alcohol because it immediately increases blood sugar level and then causes sharp drop in the level of sugar that can cause hypoglycemia.