Here Are the Most Important Dietary Guidelines for Parkinson’s Disease Patients
Although there is no one diet for Parkinson’s disease (PD), the patients have to be mindful of what they eat. In general, people with PD must consume vegetables, fruits, meat, and whole grains. As well as fish, nuts, olive oil, and organic eggs, since they contain good fats beneficial for the body.
In this article, we will tackle the dietary guidelines of Parkinson’s disease patients.
Dietary Guidelines for Parkinson’s Disease Patients
People with PD, also known as Shaking palsy, must be careful with what they eat, and here are the most important guidelines:
- Avoid diets that are deficient in one of the dietary groups and mainly relying on them. Wherein, the diet for PD patients must include all the dietary groups in order to supply the body with the necessary fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, and energy.
- Include vegetables, fruits, and grains in the diet to acquire fiver, vitamins, and complex carbohydrates. Moreover, doing so reduces the fat intake.
- Reducing sugar intake is crucial for PD patients. For they supply the body with many calories and little nutrients, and stimulate the development of an inflammatory environment in the body.
- Reduce salt and sodium consumption in order to decrease the risk of hypertension.
- Consume foods rich in antioxidants, for they are significant for the integrity of the brain. Such foods include vegetables, fruits, and various herb.
- Balance the amount of food consumed and the physical effort made by the PD patient, wherein one must not overeat without making physical effort to avoid gaining weight.
- Choose a diet low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol in order to reduce the risk of heart attacks and certain types of cancer.
- Maintain a healthy weight suitable for the patient’s age. This will help protect against strokes, heart diseases, and hypertension.
Tips to Alleviate the Symptoms of the Disease
A healthy diet helps improve the absorption of medications, relieve constipation, and maintain fitness. Follow the following tips in order to alleviate the severity of PD symptoms efficiently:
- Drink a sufficient amount of water, no less than 8 cups a day.
- Consume foods rich in fiber, such as whole grains, brown rice, beans, and fruits to reduce constipation and facilitate digestion.
- Take the medications with an entire glass of water to help the body dissolve the medicine more efficiently.
- Reduce sugar and caffeine consumption before bed, since they cause insomnia and sleeping difficulties.
- Pay attention to vitamin D level in the body, and in case of deficiency, consume foods rich in vitamin D, such as tuna, salmon, and mackerel.
- Consume small and light meals, like nuts (cashew, walnuts, and others) which enhance the integrity of the brain.
- Eating berries is important as well since it contains beneficial antioxidants that impact inflammations in the brain.
Herein, we have included the most important dietary guidelines for Parkinson’s disease patients to alleviate the severity of the disease and its symptoms.