Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Suffer from Heartburn – Allowed:
It is important for people who have heartburn to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE HEARTBURN:
- Do daily sports and relaxation exercises such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises. Sports is very important for the functioning of the digestive system and for reducing tension and stress and improving mood.
- Adhere to a healthy diet where you eat small meals at intervals every 2-3 hours and chew food well before you swallow.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Tuck the pillow under the shoulders when you lie down, this will position the head further up on the pillow and help relieve heartburn. You can also sleep on either side but not on your back.
- You should have 1tsp of nectar honey every day twice a day.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES- TEAS)
- Drink cool water immediately when you feel a heartburn.
- Drink 1 cup of fresh potato juice twice a day for 3 weeks.
- Prefer to drink chamomile tea (Salvia officinalis).
- If heartburn is accompanied with colic, you can drink sage tea and rosemary tea.
- Prefer to take 1tsp of pure apple vinegar dissolved in a cup of water every morning on an empty stomach.
- Instead of the vinegar, you can drink the juice of half a lemon in a cup of water.
- Drink 250ml of sodium bicarbonate solution (1 glass a day on an empty stomach and drink plenty of water afterwards) to balance stomach acidity pH.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Consume essential fruits and vegetables such leafy greens, green colored vegetables, orange colored egetables, bananas, apples, and pears.
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables in general because they are rich in fiber and are easy to digest.
- When you feel a heartburn, prefer to eat cucumber in order to alleviate the burning sensation.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- If heartburn is accompanied with bloating and gases, we recommend you to take 2-3tps of fresh ground cumin. You can mix it with honey or add it to your food.
- Prefer to eat whole grains on a regular basis because they have high content of fiber and are easy to digest.
- It is advised to take raw nuts and almonds when you feel a heartburn or you can have almond milk.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Suffer from Heartburn – Prohibited:
- Smoking cigarettes and hookah.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Caffeinated drinks such as tea, hot chocolate and coffee.
- Soft drinks and sodas.
- Foods that stimulate the secretion of stomach acid such as citrus fruits, red meat, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, milk and dairy.
Milk and dairy may temporarily alleviate heartburn, but on the long term they make it exacerbate.
- Foods that are hard to digest such as fried food, fatty and spicy foods.
- Allergenic foods such as wheat, corn, milk, dairy, peanuts, preservatives and food dyes.
- Fast foods, processed foods and canned foods because they contains preservatives, food dyes and flavorings which increase stomach acidity.
- Avoid the consumption of foods that contain white sugar.
- Chewing gum may increase stomach acidity.
- Napping immediately after a meal. You should wait 3-4 hours before you go to bed.
- Tension and stress.
- Medications that cause heartburn such as aspirin and certain blood thinners.
Note: If heartburn is caused due to lack of stomach acidity, then you should consume foods that increases the secretion of stomach acids such as oranges and citrus fruits, pickles, tomatoes, eggplants and foods high in zinc (pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.