Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for Women in Menopause – Allowed:
It is important for women in menopause to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR WOMEN IN MENOPAUSE:
- Adhere to a healthy and more relaxed lifestyle and get adequate amount of sleep.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Adhere to healthy eating habits. Preferably, eat small meals at frequent intervals (every 2-3 hours) and chew food well before you swallow.
- Do daily activity and relaxation exercises such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercise.
Physical activity helps you maintain a healthy weights and reduces tension and stress that weaken the immune system.
- Prefer to take supplements of essential minerals and vitamins including vitamin D, zinc, folic acid, vitamin B and vitamin E.
- Take bee pollen on a regular basis.
- Consume foods that are rich in magnesium such as dark chocolate.
- Consume foods that have vitamin D together with foods that have calcium because vitamin D contributes to calcium absorption in the digestive system and prevents its excretion in urine.
- Eat foods that have high content of vitamin E because it helps reduce hot flashes and vaginal dryness. It also balances cholesterol and triglyceride level in the blood, and gives your skin a more hydrated and vital look.
- Consume food that are rich in omega 3 fatty acid because it is essential for the health and integrity of body cells as well as for the balance of hormones and the proper functioning of the nervous system.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES- TEAS)
- Drink 3 glasses of water (450ml) on an empty stomach. Prefer to dissolve 1tbsp of nectar honey in this amount of water (for stomach cleansing) and then wait 30 min at least before you have your breakfast.
- Wmen in menopause should drink 8 glasses of water (2 liters) a day.
- It is also recommended to drink fresh juices of fruits and vegetables such as apple juice, carrot juice, beet juice, and pomegranate juice.
- Prefer to drink bone and marrow soup because it is rich in magnesium.
- You should drink rosemary tea, calendula tea, chamomile tea, nettle tea, melissa tea and licorice tea.
- Consume an amount of 1 small cup of olive oil throughout the day (you can add olive oil to your food). Olive oil is rich in essential fatty acids.
- You should drink sage tea on a daily basis. Sage tea alleviates menstrual pain and uterine cramps. It also reduces the onset of hot flashes.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Eat 1-3 dates everyday, 30 min after you drink the water.
- Prefer to eat fresh mushroom especially reishi mushroom because it alleviates menopause symptoms in addition to that it contains vitamin D.
- It is recommended to consume artichokes, sweet potatoes, passion fruit, asparagus, and spirulina algae.
- Consume fruits and vegetables rich in magnesium because it contributes to calcium absorption in the bones.
Prefer to eat spinach, celery, watercress, parsley, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados and dried apricots.
- You should eat fruits and vegetables that have high content of fiber such as leafy greens (watercress, parsley, basil, beet), cabbage, cauliflower, radish, carrots, asparagus, pumpkin, broccoli, root vegetables, sprouts, in addition to orange and red colored fruits.
- Prefer to eat avocado because it is rich in omega 3 fatty acid.
- Prefer to eat foods that have low glycemic index such as pears, apples, and grapefruits.
- Eat 1 crushed clove of garlic with a spoon full of nectar honey twice a day.
Tip: Make sure you wash fruits and vegetables well to remove insecticides and harmful substances saturated with estrogen. Prefer to eat organic fruits and vegetables.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- Consume foods that have high content of fiber such as legumes, whole rice, barley, oatmeal, quinoa, whole grains, lentils, beans, fava beans, chickpeas and peas.
- Prefer to have fenugreek and flaxseed.
Flaxseed is also rich in omega 3 fatty acid.
- Eat foods that have high content of magnesium such as legumes (lentils, beans), soybeans and tofu, nuts and seeds (almonds, pecans, sesame, cashews, brazilian nuts), whole grains, wheat germ, and brown rice.
- Prefer to consume soy products and flaxseed because it contains phytoestrogen, which helps maintain hormonal balance, keep the integrity of bones, and reduce blood lipids.
- Women in menopause should eat foods that have high content of fatty acids such as raw seeds and nuts mainly walnuts, watermelon seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds.
- Prefer to eat foods that have high content of calcium such as tahini, sesame, almonds, beet, okra, soybeans, whole grains, tofu, and legumes (chickpeas, lentils and beans).
- Prefer to eat foods that have low glycemic index such as whole grains (quinoa, barley, whole rice) and legumes (beans, lentils, peas, cowpeas, peas and soybeans).
- You should have 1tsp of ground cumin twice a day. You can add it to food or honey.
- Prefer to consume moringa oleifera because it is rich in vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acid.
FISH AND SEAFOOD
- Prefer to eat sardines, salmon and tuna as it contains vitamin D, which is essential for women in menopause.
- Eat plenty of fish and seafood because it has high content of omega 3 fatty acid, which helps maintain the integrity of cells.
Prefer to eat tuna, salmon, herring, mackerel, and halibut.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for Women in Menopause – Prohibited:
- Foods that have high glycemic index such as foods that contain white flour, starch or sugar.
These foods cause hormonal imbalance and weak functioning of the nervous system.
- Milk and dairy products especially that are made of cow milk or powdered milk.
These foods often contain artificial hormones or high levels of animal hormones that can aggravate hormonal imbalance.
Prefer to replace it with soymilk, almond milk, or organic goat milk.
- Foods that contain saturated fat such as beef, processed food, margarine, butter and refined oils.
These foods hinder the work of Omega 3 and may increase the risk of hypertension or diabetes.
- Animal fat and red meat especially beef. Also prefer to avoid poultry as much as possible.
- Processed and canned foods that contain preservatives, food dyes and flavorings.
These foods are high in calories, sugar and saturated fat.
- Fast food, canned food, and fried food because they have additives and food dyes.
- Limit salt intake and avoid citric acid.
- Caffeinated beverages such as coffee and Nescafé.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes and hookah because they will aggravate the symptoms of menopause.
- Alcoholic drinks, energy drinks, soft drinks and sodas.
- Marketed eggs from the supermarket because they are not hormone free.
You can have organic eggs instead, only in moderation.
- Allergenic foods such as corn, bananas, peanuts, citrus fruits (except lemon), tomatoes, and chili.
- Foods that prevent or hinder the absorption of calcium such as milk and dairy, which has high content of phosphorus, sodas, red meat, and sausages.
Note: Even though milk and dairy have high content of calcium, however, these foods also are high in phosphorus, which prevents the absorption of calcium in the body; therefore, prefer to limit their consumption.