Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Osteoporosis – Allowed:
It is important for people with osteoporosis to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WITH OSTEOPOROSIS:
- Insert bee pollen to your daily diet.
- You can eat eggshells. Organic eggshell (after washing) can be placed in a bowl with fresh lemon juice for several hours to dissolve and decompose, and then it can be taken to strengthen the bones.
- Eat foods rich in protein such as eggs, peanut butter, tofu, and others.
- Eat foods high in magnesium because it helps calcium absorption in the bones.
- Add dark chocolate and bone broth to your diet because they are high in magnesium.
- Eat foods that have high content of vitamin D with foods high in calcium. Vitamin D assists better absorption of calcium in the digestive system and prevents its secretion in the urine. Vitamin D is found in sardines, Moringa, salmon, tuna, olive oil, eggs, and mushrooms. It is also preferable the get exposed to sunlight for 10 minutes a day to stimulate the production of vitamin D.
- Do daily exercise to help maintain the health and integrity of bones. Preferably, choose a type of exercise that adds pressure to the bones which creates resistance that stimulates the activity and function of building cells. Preferably choose running, walking, climbing the ladder and lifting weights.
- Improving the absorption of essential vitamins and minerals that are important for maintaining the heath and integrity of bones especially calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and B vitamins. In addition, prefer to keep normal level of acidity in the digestive system, and to maintain hormonal balance, as well as thyroid balance with medicinal herbs.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES- TEAS)
- Drink fresh juices of organic fruits and citruses especially orange juice.
- Drink between 8-10 glasses of water a day (2 liters).
- You can drink diluted tea of olive leaf.
- Drink fresh juice of wheatgrass.
- Add olive oil to your meals because it is rich in essential fatty acids. You should consume an amount of a small cup of olive oil every day.
- Prefer to drink teas of the following herbs: sage, cardamom, licorice, ginger, common horsetail and red clover.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Consume dried fruits such as dates, fig, and raisins.
- Add Asparagus to your diet regime because it is high in calcium and Vitamin K, which is essential for remodeling of the bones.
- Eat fruits and vegetables because they improve the proper functioning of the digestive system and the hormonal system thus help treat osteoporosis.
- Prefer to eat cranberries, strawberries, guavas, melons in addition to red and orange colored fruits like red pepper, mandarins and sweet potatoes.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that have high content of Vitamin K, which is essential for remodeling of bones. Preferably, eat broccoli, soybeans, leafy greens, root vegetables, algae, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus and okra.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that have high content of magnesium such as green vegetables (kohlrabi, spinach, broccoli, watercress, parsley and celery), sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, and dried apricots.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- Add fenugreek and black cumin to your daily diet.
- Eat foods rich in protein such as wheat, legumes, nuts, tofu, quinoa, and others.
- Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids, in particular omega3. Fatty acids assist to the absorption process of calcium and its introduction to the bones and prevents its secretion in urine. Preferably, eat flaxseeds, almonds, and raw nuts and seeds.
- People who have osteoporosis prefer to eat whole grains because they improve the functioning of the digestive system and hormonal system
- Eat soybean products and flaxseeds because they contain phytoestrogen that helps maintain hormonal balance and because they are high in calcium.
- Prefer to eat chickpeas and soybeans because they have high content of Vitamin K, which is essential for remodeling of bones.
- Eat foods high in zinc such as legumes, nuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, whole grains and wheat germ.
- Prefer to eat legumes (lentils and beans), soy products (soy flour and tofu), nuts and seeds (almonds, pecan, chestnut, sesame, cashews and Brazilian nuts), whole grains, and brown rice because are rich in magnesium.
FISH AND SEAFOOD
- Eat foods rich in protein such as fish, organic chicken breast, and seafood.
- Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids, in particular omega3. Fatty acids assist to the absorption process of calcium and its introduction to the bones and prevents its secretion in urine. Preferably, eat sardines, salmon and mackerel.
- Eat sardines because they are high in calcium.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Osteoporosis – Prohibited:
Patients with Osteoporosis should avoid the following:
- Foods that prevent or hinder the absorption of calcium such as foods high in phosphorus like milk, dairy; as well as sodas, red meat, inner organs of animals, sausages and luncheon.
Even though milk and dairy contain calcium, they are also high in phosphorus that prevents the absorption of calcium; therefore, it is preferable that you avoid these foods. Prefer to replace it with soy milk, cashew milk or almond’s milk.
- Foods that contain animal protein such as beef.
- Foods high in sodium such as snacks, smoked meat, smoked cheese, sausages and processed food.
- Citric acid and salt.
- Alcohol and energy drinks.
- Cigarettes and hookah.
- Fast foods and canned foods that contain food dyes and preservatives.
- White sugar and all foods that are made of or contain white sugar.
- White flour, cakes and biscuits.
- Caffeinated beverages.
- Soft drinks and sodas.