Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Peptic Ulcer – Allowed:
It is important that people with stomach ulcer to abide by the following instructions.
General advice for people with stomach ulcer:
- Do daily exercise and try to relax more. Preferably do relaxation exercises such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises to reduce tension and stress because they are considered major causes for Peptic ulcer.
- Adhere to a healthy diet and maintain healthy eating habits. Preferably, eat small meals at frequent intervals (every 2-3 hours) and chew food well before you swallow. Also, you should take care of oral hygiene.
- Have 1 spoonful of nectar honey dissolved in a cup of water every day on an empty stomach.
Note: If gastric ulcer causes bleeding or hemoglobin drop, we recommend taking magic.wb product (wheat grass and barley grass) and Spiru product (Spirulina algae).
Liquids (Water- Juices- Teas)
- Drink 8-10 glasses of mineral water (2 liters) every day.
- Prefer to drink tea of the following herbs on a daily basis: sage, fennel seed, fenugreek, Melissa, chamomile, rosemary, cardamom and cumin.
- Prefer to drink ginger tea; however, if ginger causes you pain the stomach, you should probably avoid it.
- Drink cabbage juice for 10 days (4 glasses a day) because it is rich in glutamine amino acid that helps heal and regenerate stomach membrane. In addition, cabbage cools, nourishes and alleviates pain.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Add reishi mushroom to your food.
- Increase the consumption of asparagus.
- Consume foods that reduce stomach acidity such as leafy greens, green vegetables, orange vegetables, bananas, apples, and pears.
- Consume fruits and vegetables that have high content of soluble fiber.
- Prefer to eat root vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes and pumpkin because they are rich in vitamins and minerals that contribute to the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Eat leafy greens such as lettuce, parsley, coriander and dill because they are rich in vitamin K, which has proved its effectiveness in healing ulcers.
- Take garlic to prevent the spread of helicobacter pylori and improve immune response and reduces the symptoms of H. pylori.
Tip: When having foods that may cause abdominal bloating, it is prefer to add freshly ground cumin to your dish.
Whole grains – Legumes – Seeds and Nuts
- It is prefer to add 1tbsp of turmeric and cumin to your food every day.
- Eat seeds and nuts especially pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds because they are rich in zinc, which helps to heal membrane and strengthen the immune system.
- Consume foods that reduce stomach acidity such as raw walnuts, flaxseeds and almonds.
- Eat whole grains such as whole rice, oatmeal and quinoa because they are rich in fiber and B vitamins that help improve the functioning of the digestive system and the immune system and help treat ulcers.
Fish and Seafood
- Eat fish and seafood because it is rich in omega3.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People with Peptic Ulcer – Prohibited:
- Foods that are hard to digest such foods that are cooked with animal fat or tallow, or fried foods with oily sauces.
- Any spicy food (hot, sour or salty).
- Meat extract, red meat, canned fish, and sausages.
- Caffeinated beverages, black coffee and strong tea.
- Alcohol, energy drinks and sodas.
- Cigarettes and hookah.
- Heavy meals and fast food because they aggravate stomach ulcer.
- Allergenic foods that may cause discomfort in the digestive system such as corn, wheat, milk, dairy, peanuts, preservatives and food dyes.
- Foods that increase stomach acidity such as citrus fruits (except lemon), red meat, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, milk and dairy.
- Simple carbohydrates such as white flour and sugar because it weakens the immune system and the digestive system and induce inflammation.
- Foods that cause abdominal pain.